1.09.2007

calling your ride @ the library

A pre-teen girl asked if she could call her mom to get a ride home. I said she could use our phone for that purpose, but we dial. She launched into some convoluted explanation about how her mom doesn't answer her phone if she doesn't know who is calling, so we would have to call her three times in a row before she would answer. Can anyone say "paranoia"?

You know, if you drop your kid off at the library with no cell phone or pre-arranged meeting time, why would you make it exceptionally difficult for them to contact you? I do not understand people. Then again, I can't imagine leaving my pre-teen kid alone at the library, but people do it all the time.

P.S. I have the phone number written down since I had to keep dialing it. I should start a mass calling spree of people all over the country calling the paranoid lady three times in a row. Now THAT would be funny. (but oh, so wrong, of course. No, I'm not actually going to tell you the number.)

Comments:
One of my favorites is the mom who tried refusing to pick up her child after we closed because the weather was too dangerous. We had hard rain and storms with tornado warnings, so she said it wasn't safe to drive. Which meant her son would have to walk home. That was OK, as long as she didn't have to go out and face the weather herself. We eventually got her to come up, but only after threatening a call to the police about an abandonded child.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?