2.07.2005

Poker face

Last week at the library, I had a conversation with a guy that went something like this:

Hawaiian Shirt Guy: I need a book on Texas Hold'em
Turabian Girl: What?
HSG: Texas Hold'em. It's a poker game
TG: It looks like they are all checked out. I'll have to put you on the waiting list. Poker is really popular these days, huh?
HSG: Yes, I have poker night every week.
TG: Oh yah, my brother does that too.
HSG: [excitedly] Where? On Highway 29?!
TG: No, he lives in another state.
HSG: Where?
TG: Missouri
HSG: Trenton?!
TG: [chuckling] No!
HSG: Is Amanda your sister?
TG: [laughing in his face] NO!
HSG: [pointing to my ring] Is that silver?
TG: No, it's platinum.
HSG: Oh, nice.

Well, that conversation amused me, just because of the sheer randomness of it. I filed it away in my memory for future reference. The guy came back today, handed me a DVD copy of American History X, and said he didn't think it should be in the library because it was so racist. It definitely has racist characters in the movie, although I think he kind of missed the point of it (but that is irrelevant to my story). I gave him a complaint form to fill out. After he finished he asked me to read it to make sure it was ok. I said it was fine.

Then he said, "I just have one more question."
TG: OK, what's that?
HSG: [pointing to my ring] That IS a wedding ring, right?
TG: [laughing] yes.
HSG: Platinum, right?
TG: yes, why? are you in the market for a wedding ring? [playing dumb]
HSG: Well, no. See, my friend is dating this girl named Amanda and you look just like her and it would be so cool if I had a girlfriend who looked like my friend's girlfriend.
TG: Uh, wouldn't that just be WEIRD?
HSG: [excited again] No! It would be awesome!
TG: Ok, then...

In light of today's conversation, the one last week makes a whole lot more sense. If my brother played poker at some place on Highway 29, he would have a way to get "in" with my family. Or, better yet, maybe Amanda, who he already knows, is actually my sister and could fix us up. Oh darn, he just spotted a ring. Maybe she's married. So then he went home and thought about it and realized he wasn't 100% sure if it was a wedding ring so he better come back to double check. The Trenton part still makes no sense though.

That whole thing was pretty funny. The guy didn't seem particularly creapy. Just clueless. I wonder if he has weird twin fantasies or something.

Comments:
This post reads like a wacky Quentin Tarantino movie plot... except without the guns involved. :D
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?